Tezgam inferno incident
PR submits report to IHC
ISLAMABAD: The Ministry of Pakistan Railways Monday submitted its report to Islamabad High Court (IHC) pertaining to ‘Tezgam train inferno incident’.
Justice Mohsin Akhter Kiyani heard the case, filed by Haneef Rahid Advocate.
Railways Chief Executive Officer (CEO) informed the bench that a total of 87 people had lost their lives in this tragic incident. The government would give compensation and relief to the victim families, he added.
During the course of proceeding, the deputy superintendent of police also apprised the court that a first information report (FIR) had been registered in Khanewal Police Station regarding the incident.
He said police personnel and other officials, who committed negligence, had been nominated in the FIR.
The lawyer of Railways ministry adopted the stance that the ministry was authorized to register the FIR at any police station across the country.
The railways official said DNA of 10 bodies could not be done while 12 persons were not identified so far.
He said the railway police had improved security to avoid such incidents in future. Security cameras would be installed in trains, which would be able to record in night time, he added.
The bench said no one could interfere in the investigation of railways police and directed to present its opinion after finishing the probe of the incident which took dozens of lives.
The Railway’s lawyer said once the identification of bodies was completed, the relief would be given to all victim families of the incident.
Justice Kiyani said death of victim could not be proved until the autopsy of the body was completed.
The postmortem of the victims of 9/11 was completed in seven years, he noted.
The victim family said the government had announced fifty thousands rupees for injured and Rs100,000 for the victim family of the dead person.
The court adjourned hearing of the case till April 14. – APP