Dubai ruler seeks to keep judgments private in UK court fight with former wife
LONDON: Dubai’s ruler, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, began an appeal on Wednesday to prevent the publication of two judgments in a British court battle with his former wife Princess Haya bint al-Hussein over the wardship of their two children.
The contest began last May and there have been a number of private hearings at London’s High Court before the president of the Family Division, Andrew McFarlane.
On Wednesday, the Court of Appeal in London heard a challenge by Sheikh Mohammed, aged 70, against publication of two judgments by McFarlane, who decided last month that these should be made public.
Princess Haya, 45-year-old daughter of the late King Hussein of Jordan, and the court-appointed guardian of the children both supported publication, the court heard.
“This appeal arises from wardship proceedings in the High Court concerning two children who are at present within the jurisdiction of the Court,” said Justice Nicholas Underhill, vice-president of the Court of Appeal.
He said the two judgments “raise matters of public interest beyond the particular issue in the wardship proceedings”.
“The first concerned certain disputed factual issues; the second concerned issues arising out of the special position of the father as the sovereign and head of government of a foreign state,” he said.
The two parties said in a statement in July that the case did not concern divorce or finances but was limited to their children’s welfare. – Reuters