Pakistan confirms first two COVID-19 cases
KP releases Rs100m to fight the virus: DG Health
Pakistan-Iran border closure enters fourth day

Statesman Report
KARACHI: Two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Karachi, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Health Dr Zafar Mirza confirmed on Wednesday, minutes after the first case was reported in the port city.
“I can confirm first two cases of coronavirus in Pakistan. Both cases are being taken care of according to clinical standard protocols & both of them are stable,” Dr Mirza wrote on Twitter.
He also noted that there was “no need to panic [as] things are under control”.
The second case was reported in Islamabad and was shifted to a quarantine in the capital’s Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS).
Earlier, a spokesperson for the Sindh health department confirmed that the 22-year-old patient — Pakistan’s first case — had arrived in aeroplane from Iran and has a history of travel to Tehran from where he reportedly acquired the virus. He was suffering from coronavirus symptoms while he was in Iran, it mentioned.
Meanwhile, Director General Health Department Dr Tahir Nadeem Wednesday said the provincial government has released Rs 100 million grant to cope with any emergency related to coronavirus in the region.
Talking to media here, he said that effective measures have been put in place to curb outbreak of Coronavirus, adding that thermal screening is being performed at Pak-Afghan border to check the disease.
He said teams have also being deployed at Bacha Khan Airport to screen each and every passenger coming from affected countries.
The DG said that Police Services Hospital has been specified to deal with coronavirus patients. Until now not a single case of coronavirus has been reported from any part of the province, he said and added that out of 16 suspected cases none was found positive.
In the wake of reports of Coronavirus cases in Iran and Afghanistan, a 13-member medical team including doctors has scanned 143956 people at Torkham Border.
Deputy Commissioner Khyber, Mehmood Aslam Wazir on Wednesday said a medical team was busy in scanning people coming from Afghanistan through Torkham Border with thermal scanning guns to check the spread of Coronavirus.
To cope with any emergency, he said ambulances have been shifted to the border besides emergency spots have also been declared at Pak-Afghan Dosti Hospital Torkham, Tehsil Headquarter Hospital Landikotal and Jamrud.
The facility of keeping suspected patients in isolation has also been made available at the border, he said adding the administration was doing its best to cope with any situation with regard to threat of spread of the virus.
The Khyber Administration and Health Department, he said were in close liaison and cooperation however, he added so far no such case of Coronavirus has been reported at Torkham Border.
Meanwhile, the closure at the Pakistan-Iran border continued for a fourth straight day on Wednesday amid the coronavirus outbreak in Iran, reported Geo News.
Quetta-Taftan train
service suspended
Railways Minister Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed also announced the suspension of train service between Quetta and Pakistan’s Taftan amid fears of coronavirus outbreak.