First case of coronavirus emerges in Quetta, taking Pakistan’s tally to 19
Statesman Report
KARACHI: The total number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan has touched 19 after three cases were detected in Hyderabad, Karachi, and Quetta on Tuesday.
In Sindh, one of the patients is from Hyderabad who arrived from Syria via Doha while the other is detected from Karachi who arrived from Iran via Dubai, the officials said. “The health department is in the process of tracking down all the contacts for further testing,” the statement added.
In Balochistan’s maiden case, the virus was found in an eight-year-old child, whose parents had returned from Iran via Taftan, said the head of the Fatima Jinnah Hospital in Quetta. The minor, hailing from Dadu district of Sindh, was quarantined at Taftan for eight days and was transferred to the hospital on Monday. According to the MS, the virus was not detected in the parents of the child.
Following the reports of a hike in cases in the province, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah has said the provincial government is making all-out efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, the mysterious viral pneumonia-like disease caused by the novel coronavirus, after two more cases surfaced on Tuesday raising the tally to 15 in the province and 18 in the country.
Shah, while chairing the meeting of coronavirus task force at CM House in Karachi, vowed to expedite efforts to counter the endemic.
He said all patients who have been tested positive arrived from other countries and an indigenous case was yet to be reported. “There is no need to worry [about the disease] in Sindh… the situation is in our control,” he assured.
CM Shah however appealed public to adopt precautionary measures as suggested by the health experts to remain safe from the contagion.
The chief minister was briefed on the latest developments with regards to the precautionary measures adopted by the government to contain the contagion, that has infected over 110,000 and killed over 4,000 people, mainly in China since its discovery in December last year.
Ministers and high-level medical and security officials attended the meeting.
The chief minister was informed that a total of 162 people were tested in the Sindh, of them 15 have been tested positive and these all are “imported” cases.