Inter, AC Milan back training after two-month lockdown in coronavirus epicentre
Milan: Italian football giants Inter Milan and AC Milan were both back training Friday two months after a strict lockdown which has hit the northern Italian city hard.
Inter said all their players and staff have tested negative for coronavirus on Friday, clearing the way for them to return to individual training in the afternoon.
"All the medical tests that the first team underwent have come back negative," the team said in a statement. "Optional individual training sessions will begin this afternoon."
City rivals AC Milan resumed earlier in the week with club technical director Paolo Maldini warning on Friday "not going back on the pitch would be a disaster." Former Italy captain Maldini, together with his 18-year-old son Daniel, a Milan youth team player, have both recovered from coronavirus. "You have to be careful, but not to resume would be a disaster from all points of view," 51-year-old Maldini said during a live Instagram chat on Friday with former Milan teammate Filippo Inzaghi.
"France were wrong to decree the end immediately, but we will accept what will be the verdict of the government. There is so much uncertainty."
The city in the northern Lombardy region is the epicentre of Italy's outbreak, one of the worst in Europe in terms of deaths and infections. - AFP