PESHAWAR: Yet another Shiite mosque in southern Afghan city of Kandahar was attacked during Friday prayers, killing at least 32 worshipers while 53 other sustained injuries.
Sources said that the blast has so far killed at least 41 people while 57 others were injured. “Seven dead bodies and 13 injured have been brought to our hospital so far,” a doctor at Kandahar Central Hospital told French News Agency, AFP immediately after the blasts. Meanwhile, ToloNews reported that at least 16 worshipers were killed in back-to-back blasts in one of the major mosques in Kandahar city.
The Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi confirmed the blast, saying that “the blast took place during Friday prayers.” Karim did not provide further details, but said that investigation was under way. Another Taliban spokesman, Qari Saeed Khosti, also confirmed the blast, saying that authorities are gathering details. Last Friday, a suicide blast in a Shiite mosque had killed over 50 worshipers while 140 others were injured. The so-called Islamic State militant group had claimed responsibility for the attack.
An eyewitness said that he heard three explosions – at the main entrance of the mosque, at the south of the mosque and the third at the place where worshipers perform ablutions. Another eyewitness also confirmed that he had heard three explosions.
The Afghan Taliban said that Special Forces have arrived at the crime spot. Locals have been asked to visit hospitals for blood donations.