Pakistan reports seventh coronavirus case
No positive case among coronavirus suspects quarantined at Taftan border
Statesman Report
QUETTA: Sindh has reported its fourth case of coronavirus, taking the total number of cases across the country to seven, Sindh’s coronavirus taskforce informed Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on Sunday.
The case was reported a day after the Sindh government said the first patient of the virus, Yahya Jafri, showed signs of recovery.
Yahya Jafferi supposedly contracted the virus during his visit to the Iranian holy city of Qum, where he had travelled to as part of a group of 28 pilgrims. He had tested positive for coronavirus on February 26 and was shifted to the isolation ward of a private hospital in Karachi.
Health Secretary Zahid Abbasi told the chief minister that out of four samples sent to a lab for tests, one of them was diagnosed positive while the results of three others were negative.
The chief minister directed the health department to isolate people who had remained in contact with the infected persons. The meeting was informed that Sindh health department had conducted the test of 107 samples: four were positive while 103 came out as negative.
The chief minister was told that 300 pilgrims who were scheduled to reach Sukkur on Sunday could not leave Taftan and now they would leave for Sukkur on Monday evening. The chief minister said that all the pilgrims must be checked when they reach Sukkur.
“If they are all clear they should be allowed to go their home, else the entire bus should be quarantined,” he ordered the authorities concerned.
Pakistan has reported six confirmed cases of coronavirus and all of them had a travel history to Iran. Pakistan’s neighbor has reported the highest number of coronavirus deaths outside of China and thousands have been infected, including parliamentarians and government officials.
On Thursday, the provincial health department had reported the country’s sixth case of the novel coronavirus in Karachi, whereas the fifth case was reported on March 3.
None of the people quarantined at Pakistan House at the Taftan Border have tested positive for the coronavirus, it emerged on Sunday. They will be sent back home after staying in quarantine for a week, a media report said.