5 dead after blasts at Kazakhstan arms depot: govt
NurSultan: Five people have died in explosions at an arms depot in southern Kazakhstan, authorities in the Central Asian country said Friday.
The blasts began Thursday at a defence ministry ammunitions depot in the southern region of Jambyl, leaving scores injured and nearby villages evacuated by authorities.
“Unfortunately, four military servicemen died,” said defence minister Nurlan Ermekbayev, noting that attempts to contact several other serviceman after the blasts at the facility had failed.
A separate defence ministry statement said that a fifth person had been killed. The Jambyl regional government said that of more than 80 who received treatment for injuries, 28 remained in hospital with six in serious condition. – AFP