Mengal in contact with Opp as PTI fails to woo him back into coalition
Statesman Report
ISLAMABAD: A government delegation on Saturday night met Balochistan National Party-Mengal (BNP-M) chief Sardar Akhtar Mengal but failed to convince him to re-join the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)-led coalition.
The delegation, comprising Defence Minister Pervaiz Khattak and Planning Minister Asad Umar met Mengal at his residence in the Parliament Lodges and requested him to withdraw the decision to part ways with the government.
Prime Minister Imran Khan had tasked the ministers to listen to the grievances of BNP-Mengal and convince him to reverse the decision, he had announced on the floor of the National Assembly the other day. During the meeting, Pervaiz Khattak and Asad Umar requested Sardar Akhtar Mengal to withdraw the decision but he refused to do so and thus the meeting remained fruitless.
Talking to media after the meeting, Mengal said that he could not violate the decision of the party “We have put our concerns before the government delegation,” he said. Responding to a question, the BNP-M chief said that Prime Minister Imran Khan had not contacted him directly so far.
He also said that his party was in contact with the opposition leadership and “distance between us is narrowing”.