Pakistan vows to defend territorial integrity in high-level meeting

ISLAMABAD: A high-level meeting held under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Imran Khan on Friday reviewed internal and external security situation and expressed the resolve that sovereignty of the country would be protected at all costs.

The meeting was attended by high-rank officials including Minister for Defence Pervez Khattak, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General (CJCSC) Nadeem Raza, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral (CNSA) Zafar Mahmood Abbasi, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief (CASAC) Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan and Director General Inter Services Intelligence (DGISI) Lt Gen Faiz Hamid.

The participants agreed that Pakistan believes in peaceful co-existence with its neighbours. However, the “will and capacity” to defend the people and territorial integrity were also expressed.

Voicing serious concern over the continued human rights violations by Indian forces in occupied Kashmir, the meeting urged the international community to take notice.

The meeting also paid glowing tributes to the bravery and coordinated efforts of Law Enforcement Agencies that successfully thwarted the recent attack on Pakistan Stock Exchange.

‘PSX comes under gun

and grenade attack’

Four terrorists attacked the Pakistan Stock Exchange in Karachi earlier this week, as a result of which a policeman and three security guards of the stock exchange were martyred while all four terrorists were killed in the retaliatory action by the forces.

Armed militants had arrived at the PSX compound in a sedan and attempted to enter it from the parking ground side, according to initial reports and eyewitness statements. They were seen shouldering backpacks and carrying automatic weaponry in an amateur video captured by an eyewitness.

The equipment, arms and ammunition recovered from them indicated that they had come prepared for a long siege.

After failing to enter the compound, the militants launched a gun and grenade attack and attempted to storm the building while opening indiscriminate fire. They were engaged by security personnel posted and failed to make headway amidst heavy exchange of fire.

The entire locality was later cordoned off by security forces and a search and clear operation was launched. The PSX was evacuated and the car that the militants arrived in was taken into custody. – APP