Citizenship protests overshadow Trump visit as death toll rises to 10 in Delhi

NEW DELHI: As clashes that broke out on Monday over India's Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) continued for a second day in New Delhi, the death toll from the violence rose to 10 on Tuesday, reported.
The clashes between groups that have been demonstrating for and against the CAA also left more than 150 people injured.
The riots — the deadliest violence in the city since protests against the new citizenship law began over two months ago — came as US President Donald Trump was in India on a two-day official visit.
According to the report, angry mobs threw stones and petrol bombs at Muslim homes in Kabir Nagar, near Maujpur. Journalists were also attacked and many were forced to delete pictures and videos from their phones, the publication added.
The report added that Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had said he had a "positive meeting" with Home Minister Amit Shah regarding the riots in the Indian capital. Speaking to the media, he maintained that police were outnumbered and were unable to take action as they did not have orders to do so, the publication said.
According to The Wire, stone-pelting and arson have continued in the Ghonda area, close to Maujpur.
Across the locality, The Wire saw broken and burnt vehicles, burnt shops and vehicles still on fire. There were some police standing at the edge of the Hindu-majority area, but did not intervene when vehicles were burning, the publication said.
Eyewitnesses said the violence continued overnight, and several shops were broken. “There was stone pelting in the area early this morning also,” a resident was quoted as saying.
The clashes erupted in a northeastern district of the city between thousands of people demonstrating for and against the new citizenship law.
Tensions in parts of the city remained high on Tuesday with schools remaining shut in some areas amid news reports of fresh clashes. At least five metro stations in the city were closed.
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia tweeted that schools in the capital's northeast would be shut on Tuesday and exams postponed.
Police used tear gas and smoke grenades but struggled to disperse the stone-throwing crowds that tore down metal barricades and set vehicles and a petrol pump alight.
"Some of the people brought in had gunshot wounds," said Dr Rajesh Kalra, additional medical superintendent at the Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital in New Delhi.
One police constable was killed, a police official told Reuters, declining to be named since he wasn't authorised to speak to media.
A fire department official told Reuters that its teams were responding to reports of at least eight separate cases of arson on Tuesday, linked to fresh protests in the city. - Agencies