PCB tells Umar Akmal to return PSL 2020 pay cheques
Statesman Report
LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has told Quetta Gladiators' suspended cricketer Umar Akmal to return his cheques for the ongoing Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2020 of which he is no longer a part, Daily Express reported on Thursday.
According to sources quoted by the Urdu daily, participating players of PSL 2020 have already been paid 70% of their promised remuneration while the remaining 30 percent will be paid post-PSL.
The PSL, the report says, has a record of being prompt with its payments, which is why foreign cricketers also prefer to participate in it. In fact, the league has never missed a scheduled payment in its five years of existence, the publication says.
The only difference this time is that local players are being paid on rupees instead of dollars as the league is taking place in Pakistan entirely. However, since they will be paid the exchange rate of the day they signed their contracts, it will not make too much of a difference.
Akmal, meanwhile, has been instructed to return his cheque following his suspension on account of violating the Anti-Corruption Code.
It remains unclear why he was paid in the first place when his suspension had taken place before the tournament.
The 29-year-old had reportedly been in touch with a bookie and failed to report the approach, and was thus suspended by the PCB on the day the PSL 2020 began last Thursday.
The suspension saw an early blow to his PSL side Quetta Gladiators, who replaced him with all-rounder Anwar Ali.